The Best Bedtime Face Cleansers by Gunilla of Sweden®
The Best Bedtime Face Cleansers. Washing your face before bed can sometimes feel like an inconvenience, especially after a long, tiresome day. However, cleansing your skin is a critical part of maintaining your skin’s overall health and appearance, just like brushing your teeth. Here are a few reasons why washing your face before going to sleep is so beneficial: Do not use bar soap, bar soap is alkaline and strips your skin of natural oils. Leaving a squeaky clean feel is NOT a good thing. Squeaky means you skin will increase its oil production to compensate causing more oily skin.
- Throughout the day, your skin becomes a playground for dirt, oil, bacteria, pollutants, dirt, viruses and dead skin cells along with other types of debris. Cleansing the skin before bed removes these impurities and gives your skin a fresh and clean look.
- Your skin repairs itself while you’re sleeping so having clean skin before going to bed is a must. During the night, the skin naturally exfoliates itself by shedding dead skin cells but if make-up and other types of residue are left on the skin, it is unable to do so. This can result in dull, lackluster skin.
- Clean skin absorbs skincare products more efficiently so always be sure to apply serums and moisturizers directly after cleansing your face. It is nearly impossible for skincare products to penetrate through make-up and debris that is left on the skin.
- Cleansing your skin can also prevent breakouts from occurring. Small glands under the surface of the skin produce a protective oil barrier called sebum. The glands use hair follicles as a pathway allowing the oil to reach the skin’s surface. Access dirt and debris can block the follicle which creates a buildup of sebum, dirt, sweat and dead skin cells. Furthermore, the lack of this protective barrier (sebum) allows bacteria to penetrate the skin causing inflammation resulting in acne.
- Not washing your face can definitely have some negative repercussions. Not only would your skin be full of dirt and grease, but it would also result in a larger pore size. Cleansing also helps to balance your skin’s natural moisture levels and helps prevent the production of access oils. Failing to cleanse the skin properly would also result in significantly aged-looking skin.
In addition to the importance of washing your face every night, choosing the correct cleanser for your skin type also makes a large difference. For instance, if you have dry skin, avoid cleansers that have high alcohol content. These types of cleansers can dry your skin out even more. Opt for an aloe-based cleanser, not one that has water as the first and main ingredient. Quality aloe-based cleansers help your skin retain moisture and does not strip your skin of its natural oils such as our LEROSETT® Clear Skin Face Wash or our GUNILLA® Herbal Face Wash for Normal/Dry Skin.
Those with oily skin should use a foaming wash or cleansing gel that will gently remove dirt and oil without stripping away all the natural oils (stripping away all-natural oils could actually cause your skin to produce even more oil!) Those with combination skin should choose a cleanser that is gentle enough to cleanse dry skin and effective enough to remove debris and impurities. Our LEROSETT® Clear Skin Face Wash would be best for these skin types.
Those with sensitive skin should use a cleanser that is free from strong fragrances and that contain mild oils such as jojoba oil and sweet almond oil to soothe the skin. Lastly, those with acne-prone skin need a cleanser that will cleanse deeply while medicating the skin such as our LEROSETT® Botanical Acne Cleanser that contains naturally derived salicylic acid.