The Best Bedtime Face Cleansers by Gunilla of Sweden®
Washing your face before going to sleep is a critical part of maintaining your skin’s overall health and appearance, just like brushing your teeth. Here’s why – using bar soap to clean your face is a bad idea. It is alkaline and strips your skin of natural oils, leaving a squeaky clean feel that may seem good but is actually harmful. Your skin may increase its oil production to compensate, causing more oily skin. So, it’s best to use a gentle face cleanser that can effectively cleanse your skin without causing any harm. Remember, taking care of your skin is important, and washing your face before bed is a simple yet effective way to keep your skin healthy and glowing.
Do not use bar soap; bar soap is alkaline and strips your skin of natural oils. Leaving a squeaky clean feel is NOT a good thing. Squeaky means your skin will increase its oil production to compensate for causing more oily skin.
- During the day, your skin is exposed to various impurities such as dirt, oil, bacteria, pollutants, viruses, dead skin cells, and other debris. Cleansing your skin before going to bed helps get rid of these impurities, giving your skin a fresh and clean appearance.
- It is essential to have clean skin before going to bed as your skin repairs itself during sleep. While you sleep, your skin naturally exfoliates itself by shedding dead skin cells. However, if you leave make-up or other types of residue on your skin, it cannot exfoliate properly. This can lead to dull and lackluster skin.
- Clean skin absorbs skincare products more efficiently, so always be sure to apply serums and moisturizers directly after cleansing your face. It is nearly impossible for skincare products to penetrate through make-up and debris that is left on the skin.
- Cleansing your skin can also prevent breakouts from occurring. Small glands under the surface of the skin produce a protective oil barrier called sebum. The glands use hair follicles as a pathway, allowing the oil to reach the skin’s surface. Access to dirt and debris can block the follicle, which creates a buildup of sebum, dirt, sweat, and dead skin cells. Furthermore, the lack of this protective barrier (sebum) allows bacteria to penetrate the skin, causing inflammation resulting in acne.
- Not washing your face can definitely have some negative repercussions. Not only would your skin be full of dirt and grease, but it would also result in a larger pore size. Cleansing also helps to balance your skin’s natural moisture levels and helps prevent the production of access oils. Failing to cleanse the skin properly would also result in significantly aged-looking skin.
In addition to the importance of washing your face every night, choosing the correct cleanser for your skin type also makes a large difference. For instance, if you have dry skin, avoid cleansers that have high alcohol content. These types of cleansers can dry your skin out even more. Opt for an aloe-based cleanser, not one that has water as the first and main ingredient. or oil as the main ingredient. Quality aloe-based cleansers help your skin retain moisture and will not strip your skin of its natural oils. LEROSETT® Clear Skin Face Wash for oil & problem skin or our GUNILLA® Herbal Face Wash for Normal/Dry Skin/Sensitive skin or our LEROSETT® Botanical Acne Cleanser for acne & problem skin
Those with oily skin should use a foaming wash or cleansing gel that will gently remove dirt and oil without stripping away all the natural oils (stripping away all-natural oils could actually cause your skin to produce even more oil!) Those with combination skin should choose a cleanser that is gentle enough to cleanse dry skin and effective enough to remove debris and impurities. Our LEROSETT® Clear Skin Face Wash would be best for these skin types.
If you have sensitive skin, it’s recommended that you use a cleanser without strong fragrances and that contains mild oils like jojoba oil and sweet almond oil, which can help soothe the skin. On the other hand, if you have acne-prone skin, you need a cleanser that can deeply cleanse the skin while also medicating it. Our LEROSETT® Botanical Acne Cleanser, for example, contains naturally derived salicylic acid.